Limitations

"I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers." - Helen Keller

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Reunion

When I was in high school I had a wonderful teacher named Mr. Fine. He was a lovely man and had a flair for teaching history with a touch of romance. He brought alive the Renaissance period for me like no other and introduced me to Franco Zeferelli's Romeo and Juliet and the beautiful film Brother Son Sister Moon and I became a lifelong admirer of St. Francis of Assisi as a result.

Well, as it turns out, I was not the only fan of Mr.Fine and when I innocently suggested a gathering of former students it turned into a end of summer soiree hosted by the lovely Marion and Mr. Fine (I still find it hard to call him Robert) So much food and drink and great company, not to mention an amazing skyline!

My friend Beth came all the way from Pennsylvania with her lovely husband, my old friends Lisa and Mark Gabourie came much to my delight. Heather Cameron came of course and my steadfast pal Alan MacDonald arrived with his pretty girlfriend. Kelly MacGillis Richards came, as did Frank Kakouras and my new friend Jodhi Ananmalays. Regrets were sent by my brother Gregg and Debbie, Christine Rogers, Valerie Gierman, Celestine Hunter, Melissa Annan, Menis Schwill and Kerry Milford.

What an amazing time we all had. Mr. Fine was in fine form and I met many relatives and friends of his. It occured to me that there are not many former students who can gather some thirty some years later and reminise and laugh and share amazing lessons taught by Mr. Fine, who I learned won the Governor General's Award for Teaching. Well done Mr. Fine!

On a personal note health problems have slowed me down somewhat and I was so happy to be reuinited with old friends. Also, in high school I was absent often with health issues and so, I have a special affinity for friends who remember me and all my antics. Did you know I was there when someone who shall remain nameless dropped her cigarette on a paper towel and Mrs. Hagerman came in and doused me with fire repellent? Uh huh. That was me.

After I went home, I listened to a favourite tune of mine. Bookends, by Simon and Garfunkel.

"Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence, a time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you"

Thanks for helping me recall and preserve some wonderful, touching memories Mr. Fine and all th alumni of Ajax High School.

Linda Grace XXOO

No comments: