Limitations

"I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers." - Helen Keller

Monday, January 3, 2011

A New Year, A New Day

This is the time of year when most of us reflect on what has gone before us in 2010. I feel the need to write and reflect. While still struggling with my health, I have had some insightful, life changing moments.

My children continue to grow which I wish they would stop doing. My daughter has moved into her own nest with her boyfriend and going through all the adjustments that brings. She is doing very well at her job and flying across Canada on business trips. She is a strong girl with a good sense of herself and what she wants. My son is now 15 and going through many changes, with a great sense of humour and sensitivity for the most part. He is smart and at that age where he's trying to figure out this puzzle of a world and where his piece of the puzzle fits.

My 95 year old Gran is still with us but has deteriorated mentally and that is a sadness for us all. Recently, and for the first time, she did not know who I was. It seems her first grandchild was the last one she forgot albeit just for a little while.

Mum continues to care for Gran in our British family tradition of never putting a relative in a nursing home. She struggles daily but her devotion to Gran is inspiring and heartwarming. She sacrifices everyday to keep her at home. My goal this year is to get some daily respite for her, despite her protestations.

Friends continue to support me despite my limitations and their unwavering support and love keeps me going. From Melissa driving me to downtown Doctor appointments, to Mary-Alice ferrying my son to school when I was unable to and Bev who loves my son as though he was her own. Some friends have the ability to make me laugh and forget the bad stuff. Menis comes to mind. Her memories of life in LA (Lower Ajax) bring me to my knees.

This year I moved from a three bedroom apartment to a two bedroom townhouse. I had been ill a month prior to the move and as luck would have it landed in hospital on moving day. I can't say enough about my dear friend Pedro and all the help he gave me. My Mum called him and he immediately dropped everything and drove two hours to visit me in hospital and then got busy moving me with Melissa, my Mum, and friend Linda. Melissa's son Nash who is studying four days a week at our local hospital, was there to hold my hand and calm me down as I fretted about putting people out.

Pedro taught me a great deal about selflessness this year. Pedro helps because he wants to and he gets a great deal of personal satisfaction out of helping in times of need - unconditionally. After the move, he drove me around as we bought things for the new place and he lifted furniture, hung pictures and built Sam a "man cave" in the basement that Sam has thoroughly enjoyed. My dear friend was also there when I had a close call medically and immediately took charge of the situation when I could not have. I am grateful and thankful that Pedro is in my world.

This year also saw some losses. A few friends lost a parent and we had to acknowledge that we are entering that phase of life. My close friend Norman lost his wonderful Mom Claudette in late November and that was a sad loss for all of us who knew the Lebrun family in LA.

I have had an interesting eventful year. When I think back over the year, family and friends were my main focus. My writing has been slow in finding its way back into my heart and fingers. But today is a new day and my goal is to get back to writing my blog for myself, family and for my friends. I thank you all for your support and encouragement of my writing. One day a friend said, "Just Do It". Well, it took a long time to find the courage to "Just Do It", but here I am at 2:00 am...doing it!

This feels good...like I discovered the right musical note again. This year I hope to write more, dig deeper, find the humour in most everything and count my many blessings. I wish you all a year filled with love, peace and balance. More than ever, with all our cell phones, Ipods and Blackberrys it is important to give yourself moments of quiet contemplation. 2011 - Bring it on!!

No comments: