Limitations

"I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers." - Helen Keller

Sunday, May 30, 2010

When a Friend Lets You Down

Focus,not on the rudenesses of others,
not on what they've done or left undone,
but on what you have & haven't done yourself.
-Dhammapada


It feels good to be back again. I had a health setback followed by a period of insecurity when I wasn't sure I had anything of interest to say anymore.

However, "life" changed that. After digesting a recent disappointment, I took the time to really "think" about what happened, my choices, and accepting that I was wrong about someone I deeply cared for....and not for the first time in my life. After much reflection I determined that looking after yourself emotionally is not selfish...it is essential. We must always be mindful of our hearts and minds. They are worth protecting. If it means letting go of a relationship that is causing you grief, then that is what you have to do. Of course, there are always diplomatic ways to do this..the intent is not to create unnecessary pain in someone but to move away and on to a place that is good and right for you. I have a few select friends who are true, kind and understanding. Those are the relationships I choose to focus on now.

I must make a clarification about an earlier post. I was writing about my boring name "Linda". I have always been disappointed that my parents named me after a character on the Danny Thomas Show. I felt I deserved better. Having said that I am very grateful I was not called "Paris" or "Hunter". I"ve been to Paris, but I'm not a Hunter.

My friend, man of Spanish origins recently enlightened me about my name. "Linda" or "Leenda" as I now refer to myself when speaking to him is actually a Spanish girls name and means "Beautiful". It is derived from the the "Melinda" roots, though the English use Linda the most.

"Linda" is a feminine-gender word in Spanish and my friend Pedro tells me that it means several things but is frequently used as an adjective meaning "pretty" or "lovely". If it refers to a moment in time, then it means "marvelous". If is used with singing and dancing then it means something "done beautifully" or "Baila lindo". How great is THAT?? I also learned that "Linda" was a popular song sung by Jack Lawrence in 1946. Lawrence named the song after a little five year old girl named Linda who great up to be Linda Eastman McCartney! Thank you for enlightening me Pedro. From now on when I do something beautifully,I will say "BAILA LINDO!"

Buddhists have a wonderful saying: "Life goes by quickly, therefore go slowly." This morning I woke up, had my cup of tea and read the news. Now I am a big news hound - I come by it honestly as a former journalist. I have a very busy mind and am very curious about the world. However, I have learned that to keep my mind still I must tune out the news. Not all the time, to be sure. I could never do that because I am so interested in our world. There are times however, when I am reading about catastrophic events like the Gulf Oil spill, political mess ups and G8 and G20 summits with obscene amounts of money being thrown their way, that I have to turn it off.

If I lived in Louisiana, I would be there on those beaches, cleaning up and helping those poor pelicans and turtles. But it is not possible and I feel an overwhelming sense of helplessness when I read and view the images. It again goes back to taking care of your emotional self. I can't change the world, but I can write about it and take a break to reflect if I need to. That's okay and probably makes for better writing and a better understanding of the issues.

Sadly, I have had to give up riding my horse. Blackie was put out to pasture and I had just started riding a beautiful huge reddish coloured mare when I took ill...it may have been allergy related, triggered by the hay, mites on the horses, etc. So I have been advised to stay away from horseback riding...the occasional trail ride is okay but not the day to day. I drove to the stable recently and had a quick visit with the horses. They were outside and enjoying each other's company. The herd was running together with not a care in the world. I'm grateful for having tried to ride again and enjoying it as much as I did. It felt really good to ride and be able to take loving control of an animal so large and intimidating. I will continue to visit.

I had made a bucket list of things that I wanted to experience, so I will go back to the list and look for another adventure. Feel free to make suggestions! Rock climbing anyone?

Kind Regards,
Leeenda Grace!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A friend lets you down...

Life is just like an off-road racing adventure - full of obstacles and bumps, full of potholes and curves. The driver has to keep going forward towards the finish line. He cannot slow down. He cannot take shortcuts. He has to handle all obstacles on the road the best he can. Definitely he knows that even after all the obstacles there is only one way to go - and that's forward and at full speed. And who's there to help him through the race? Pricipally himself with his driving, and his mechanics when a breakdown happens.

Life is like that - there are many bumps and obstacles in the journey. But time only moves forward - just like the offroad race. You can dodge potholes, bumps, but you HAVE to keep moving forward. And who's there to help you through the race? Pricipally yourself, and your friends when a "breakdown" happens.

You mention that "After much reflection I determined that looking after yourself emotionally is not selfish...it is essential".

How true. You can have MANY "mechanics", and overcome many potholes and curves. But when you really analyze who can BEST help you overcome them, you are left with the best person for the job, and that's YOU. But to best help yourself, you have to look towards the future, the next curve, the next bump, the next pothole. When you encouter a new difficulty, do you worry about the last bump in the road you encoutered, or do you only look forward? That's what makes you a unique individual. You look out for that next bump in the road - what's behind you IS INDEED behind you.

Of course there is no selfishness in self preservation in this path called life. Who better than yourself? It is a right and a neccessity in order to keep in the race. My God, does this race have obstacles!

You state that "I can't change the world, but I can write about it and take a break to reflect if I need to." Well, you DO indeed change the world...at least some people's world. Other drivers in this race may pay attention to what you have written and decide not to take that path, or to learn of a new curve or bump. Then they may decide to take a different path, or decide to slow down or take a curve more carefully. We do not change the whole world, but if only one single person decides to do - or think - anything differently than if they had not read your writing, then ... you HAVE changed the world. Each one of us can make a difference.

You may have already made that difference to many people!

Linda Grace said...

Thank you my Spanish friend...whom I shall not name lol You are, a Prince!